Today will talk about the hype cycle for primary care
What is the hype cycle?
- A graphical representation of the maturity and adoption of trends or technologies
- Model developed by Gartner https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gartner a US research and advisory firm. It is branded, they sell reports and analysis to industry. Thanks for the concept Gartner.
Why might this be useful?
- Useful as a way of conceptualising
- How technologies go through the journey from discovery to mainstream use
- Recognising that hype does not always equate to real utility
- Understanding that many technologies don’t make it to mainstream adoption
- And that even those that will will have a period of reduced interest
- Main application in timing your own or your organisations adoption of a technology and reducing the risks when you choose to embrace an innovation
We are going to create the eGPLearning 2020 Primary Care Health Technology Hype Curve